Yes, you read the title of the blog correctly. CCS middle school and high school teachers will be assigning work online in core subject areas when students have their first snow day this school year.
As a pilot program teachers will upload assignments to Google Classroom for a snow day, and students will have 5 academic days to complete and submit their assignments. We will then evaluate the program for possible future use. Many school districts in the area have implemented this program which allows for a snow day to count as an academic day or toward academic hours. What this means is that CCS would be able to end the school year earlier or take additional school day(s) off in the spring depending upon what the CCS Board of Trustees would decide.
All assignments will be designed to be 45 minutes in length. The due date of 5 academic days after the snow day allows freedom for parents and students to use the snow day as they determine best. If you have any questions about this program, please contact Mr. Hepler or Mr. Parris.
Next Monday afternoon and evening and Tuesday during the day, November 21 and 22, are parent/teacher conferences here at CCS. Online sign-up ends at midnight tonight. After that time you may contact teachers directly to set up conference times. To sign up online go here.
An article in Edutopia entitled “Multiple Intelligences: What Does the Research Say?” shares the following about multiple intelligences (For a more detailed overview and explanation of Multiple Intelligences, see the first chapter of Dr. Gardner’s book Multiple Intelligences: New Horizons (PDF) :
The theory of multiple intelligences challenges the idea of a single IQ, where human beings have one central "computer" where intelligence is housed. Howard Gardner, the Harvard professor who originally proposed the theory, says that there are multiple types of human intelligence, each representing different ways of processing information:
- Verbal-linguistic intelligence refers to an individual's ability to analyze information and produce work that involves oral and written language, such as speeches, books, and emails.
- Logical-mathematical intelligence describes the ability to develop equations and proofs, make calculations, and solve abstract problems.
- Visual-spatial intelligence allows people to comprehend maps and other types of graphical information.
- Musical intelligence enables individuals to produce and make meaning of different types of sound.
- Naturalistic intelligence refers to the ability to identify and distinguish among different types of plants, animals, and weather formations found in the natural world.
- Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence entails using one's own body to create products or solve problems.
- Interpersonal intelligence reflects an ability to recognize and understand other people's moods, desires, motivations, and intentions.
- Intrapersonal intelligence refers to people's ability to recognize and assess those same characteristics within themselves.
Here at CCS we want to help students to discover, develop, celebrate, and use their God-given intelligences, gifts, and talents with joy for His Kingdom. This year I have seen students take leadership and use their intelligences in the Intro to Trades class. Some students have become team leaders as the students in that class created art out of wood to support the auction. The class has built standing tables and desks as well as stools for our classrooms. They are remodeling and painting a room for more efficient use in the tech and art areas. All of this benefits God’s work here at CCS.
In MS I have seen our MS worship team lead middle school and elementary chapels far beyond what my expectation would be for a MS worship team. There are so many other things I could share about what is happening here at CCS.
I also saw this happening in the fall play, Harvey, as CCS students took leadership and initiative in using their intelligences and gifts in directing, acting, building, staging, organizing, lighting, costuming, and working and serving together to do all it took to put on a great production.
This is all part of our vision here at CCS:
CONESTOGA CHRISTIAN SCHOOL,
in harmony with the home and church,
provides a quality educational program
for Preschool - 12th grade students
in an environment which develops critical thinking,
nurtures Christ-like character,
and equips students for a life of discipleship and service.
Upcoming Important Events
November 21 End of Trimester 1
November 21 - 22 Parent/Teacher Conferences
November 23 - 28 Thanksgiving Break
December 9 - 10 Cougar Classic Basketball Tournament
December 15 All-School Christmas Concert
larger font much appreciated! :)ReplyDelete